Re: Is XHTML 1.0 2nd ed. Section 4.3 really informative?

ITO Tsuyoshi <tsuyoshi@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

> Thank you for your rapid reply.  Where is this requirement stated in
> the XML specification?

The beginning of section 3:

   3 Logical Structures

   Definition: Each XML document contains one or more elements, the
   boundaries of which are either delimited by start-tags and end-tags,
   or, for empty elements, by an empty-element tag

>                            I am afraid that if you are mentioning XML
> spec Section 3.1 which I quoted, it is merely a recommendation for
> interoperability.

No.

Please understand: the thrust of this recommendation is that one
should not write <foo></foo> when an element is defined-empty.

                                    -- Bill