Does Content-Language in HTTP headers over rule <html lang="en">?

Hi

I've copied this to the HTML list since it's more on-topic there.

On Mon 07-Jan-2002 at 10:14:51PM +0000, David Woolley wrote:
> Chris Croome wrote:
>
> >  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2068/rfc2068
>
> HTML language sensitive processing requires exactly one language.  One
> could also get a case where the dominant language was French but the
> intended audience was English school children learning French as
> a second language.

Yeah, you just use a comer separated list, it's in the rfc.

> >   Language tags are defined in section 3.10. The primary purpose of
> >   Content-Language is to allow a user to identify and differentiate
>
> I.E. it is to support content negotiation at the HTTP level, not
> rendering.

Are you sure?

I assumed that when the language was specified in a higher protocol it
would over rule the language set in the document.

This is how it works with char sets -- see the latest XHTML 1.0 draft
[1]:

  An XML declaration ... is required when the character encoding of the
  document is other than the default UTF-8 or UTF-16 and no encoding was
  determined by a higher-level protocol.

this was changed from the last version [2] because HTTP takes
precedence over (X)HTML because it's a higher level protocol.

I assumed that the same thing applied to language.

Chris

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml1-20011004/#docconf

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/#docconf

--