From: www-html-request@w3.org [mailto:www-html-request@w3.org]On Behalf
Of Toby Inkster
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 7:21 AM
To: lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Promotion of XHTML

John Lewis said:
> But you're going to extra trouble
> for no gain (other than XHTML's "coolness"). If you're writing HTML,
> what's the purpose of writing it as XHTML and then
> making sure it's sort of HTML, in addition to worrying about browser
> incompatibilities *because it's XHTML*?

Personally I think it's easier to write in XHTML because it's tidier.

I don't have to bother remembering which elements need to be closed,
because they all do.

I don't have to worry about an untidy mix of <UPPER CASE>, <lower case>
and <Mixed Case> tags, because they all have to be lower case.

I don't need to care about whether a particular attribute needs quote
marks around it or not... because I can be sure that it does.

It's a much more symmetrical and consistant markup language, so (in my
book) is much easier to use.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
E-mail:   tobyink@goddamn.co.uk

Being a BALD HERO is almost as FESTIVE as a TATTOOED KNOCKWURST.