Re: xhtml browser

Vadim Plessky:

> On Tuesday 10 December 2002 3:37 pm, Bertilo Wennergren wrote:

> |  That depends. An XHTML file has some well-known vocabulary
> | (well-known through the wide-spread support for HTML), and any web
> | browser can do a decent rendering of it. XML+CSS most probably has
> | a vocabulary that the browser has little knowledge about, and thus
> | it will depend on the CSS to render it. That can bring trouble if
> | the CSS provided is only for _visual display_. What about
> | non-visual browsers? What should the do with XML+visual CSS? XHTML
> | they can probably deal with with built-in default rendering for its
> | vocabulary.

> |  Very few authors provide aural CSS with their XML files.

> I had impression that Li Zhang Cis is targeting some special-purpose
> audience, like corporrate Intranet where all users have same
> browser,e tc.

Hopefully no employee is blind or has bad eyes then... But it could of
course be the case that non-visual browsing is out of the picture.

> Anyway, it's up to author of the web page to provide stylesheet for
> aureal rendering or not.

Which is a very weak spot for content served as non-XHTML XML. Who will
actually do that? If you serve it as XHTML things will take care of
themselves.

I'm actually a bit scared of the idea of a future future web that uses
just "XML with CSS" instead of (X)HTML, for content to be consumed by
humans. Will content _depend_ on CSS to be consumable?

> Microsoft ships IE without support for aurela rendering, and
> Netscape7 doesn't support aureal rendering.
> So, it's fine with me to support aureal rendering (I have nothing
> against it), but *how* you can test it, if none supports it?

It's hard. But if you use XHTML (or plain old HTML) there will be no
need to test or even make any aural CSS. Just test the page in Lynx,
and assume the default rendering in aural browsers will take care of
things.

--
Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@gmx.net> <http://www.bertilow.com>