Re: In support of the "line space" (nee <hr>)

on 21-08-2002 16:25, Christian Ottosson at christian@ottosson.name wrote:

> Lorenzo De Tomasi <lorenzo.detomasi@libero.it> wrote:
>
>> how can now a person that has always used <hr> with xhtml + css obtain the
>> same result using <section>?
>> If I structure the doc in this way
>>
>> <section>
>> <section>
>> <section>
>> <!-- here I want to insert a line break <hr> -->
>> </section>
>> <section>
>> <!-- here I want to insert a line break <hr> -->
>> </section>
>> </section>
>> </section>
>>
>> How can I add a line only at the end of the 3rd indented sections?
>
> How about the CSS
>
> section section section{
> border-bottom: thin black solid;
> padding-bottom: 1em;
> margin-bottom: 1em;
> }
>
> or
>
> section section section{
> border-bottom: thin black solid;
> padding-bottom: 1em;
> }
>
> section section section + section {
> padding-top: 1em;
> }
>

> This is just a quick suggestion. Maybe you can think of something better for
> your needs. The "hr" will have the full width of the section though.
>

>> Can I have different properties of the line break (as black color for the
>> first and blue color for the second)?
>
> Then you must add for example a class attribute to the sections with different
> values.
>

>> Is the translation between the old method and the new one easy?
>> Is the new method a lot more complicate?
>
> Judge for yourself. There may be other methods as well.

I think that <hr> is immediate, everyone can use it easily.
To use css people must learn css and sometimes it's not simple (like in this
case).
Is right that a young student must learn css to add a stupid thing like a
line break in his online composition?
I agree that the css solution is better in a programmer's point of view, but
it's hardly unfriendly.
Following this way isn't xhtml becoming too much complex for common users?
especially in this trasitional period?
Good editors like Adobe Golive permit to write a good xhtml strict document
and easily apply the CSS styles, without changing too much our habits: the
transition is easy. Positioning elements on the page becomes easier.

A line break is not easily seen as a visual rendering of the structure of a
doc, but as a decoration, an image.
But at the end a line break can be an image with or without an href, or
presentation applied to the structure of a document.
In each case it's pure presentation and has the value of </section> or makes
it stronger.
If I use it as an image I prefer to use <hr>,
if I use it to structure documents I prefer to use CSS.
Probably this is the only case I have seen where deprecating the use of an
element in a way is necessary as to mantain the deprecated element,
suggesting to use it in another way.

I have great dubts. This e-mail is only a list of them without much logic,
maybe difficult to understand. I hope it can be useful to open a debate and
to create new questions and answers.