  From: www-html-request@w3.org [mailto:www-html-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of
SCJessey@aol.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 9:31 AM
  To: www-html@w3.org
  Subject: In support of the "line space" (nee <hr>)

  Lorenzo De Tomasi wrote:-

  <<I have some suggestions for the <hr> element, that can be renamed as
graphicline, gline, linespace, linebreak, etc.
  I think that some new attributes must be added:

  1. height="1px", 2px, 1pt, etc.
     or better stroke="", as used in DTP programs like Adobe Illustrator and
Photoshop
     how much the line is thin or fat

  2. color="black", etc.
     the color of the line
     I think that the best is that, if the color is not specified or
specified as default, the browser automatically chooses the default color
depending tothe background color: white for dark bkgs, black for light bkgs,
etc.

  3. width="full", percent: 100%, 50%, pixels: 300px, points: 300pt, etc.

  4. align="left", right, center

  5. margin="default", double, 12px, 12pt, etc.
     or better leading="", as used in DTP programs like Adobe Illustrator
and Photoshop
  the relative distance from the last line of text
     I think that the best is that, if the margin is not specified or
  specified as default, the browser automatically chooses the default margin
  as the leading of the last line of text

  6. style="shade", noshade
     shaded 3D or flat 2D line

  The default should be
  hr style="noshade" width="full" stroke="1px" color="default" align="left"
  margin="default"

  What do you think?

  I think that the <hr /> element should be excluded from the standard.  I
believe the new <section> tag is perfectly adequate for the task.  In a
rather spooky coincidence, I just started reading Orson Scott Card's 'Shadow
Puppets'.