Re: Valid positioning of script elements

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 09:00:00PM +0000, JOrendorff@ixl.com wrote:
> Clover Andrew wrote:
> > I note [...] that one may only insert <script>s at block-level,
> > inline, or in <head>. It is invalid for a script to live in

[...]
> of HTML and be replaced by some sort of more independent
> XML-based standard.
>
> For your purposes today, it's probably best to write server-side
> code to generate the HTML document.

So much for graceful degradation. How can one do server-side
scripting for something that the server doesn't know about?
(Whether Javascript is available *and* enabled on the client)

As simple as some markup that will use Javascript to open a
window of a specified size if Javascript can be used, but
link to a specified target window otherwise: looks like it
can be done, only to be rejected by W3C's validator as invalid
HTML. I guess I have to put the whole block-element element
inside <noscript>, and generate an almost-identical copy of
the whole thing (some 100 lines) in the Javascript, only
because <noscript> cannot be put inside a <td>---even though
a <script> can be inside a <td>.

Why is a <noscript> not allowed where a <script> is?

I suppose that would be quite some work as an enhancement for
my meta-HTML-to-plain-HTML filter program. Perhaps I have to
rewrite the damned thing so that it knows what the outermost
enclosing block-level element is.