RE: Valid positioning of script elements

Clover Andrew wrote:
> I note [...] that one may only insert <script>s at block-level,
> inline, or in <head>. It is invalid for a script to live in

Right.  This is weird.  <ins> and <del> have a related problem.

Really, the purpose of <script> is orthogonal to all the other
markup in HTML.  Same with <ins> and <del> (although one hopes
there would be a more substantial vocabulary-- XDiff?)

of HTML and be replaced by some sort of more independent
XML-based standard.

For your purposes today, it's probably best to write server-side
code to generate the HTML document.

Pete wrote:
> You can create server side scripts (using ASP for example)
> that dynamically fills in a table, but it's invalid to use
> client side scripting to accomplish the same thing.

HTML wasn't intended to self-modify.

Remember, it's just a hypertext markup language.

--
Jason Orendorff