Re: xml:space incorrectly declared in all 3 XHTML 1.0 DTDs

Tom Epperly <tepperly@llnl.gov> wrote:

> > In all 3 XHTML 1.0 DTDs there are declarations of an xml:space attribute
> > as an enumerated type with only one possible value, 'preserve'. This is in
> > violation of the XML 1.0 Recommendation which states that when declared,
> > the xml:space attribute must be an enumerated type with only two possible
> > values, 'default' and 'preserve'.
> >
> > Validating parsers (MSXML and Xerces) are choking on the DTDs. Why wasn't
> > this corrected before the XHTML 1.0 Recommendation was announced? Is it
> > too late to fix it?
>
> I have the same comments and questions.  I am trying to use Xerces,
> http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/index.html, to validate some XHTML, and it is
> choking on the XHTML 1.0 DTDs.

Please refer to François Yergeau's message, explaining the XML Core WG's
decision that it was not an error to declare xml:space the way XHTML does.

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Jun/0102

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org