RE: Frames

> From:	Rupert Wood [SMTP:rup@kanat.pair.com]
>
> So what's the status of frameset.dtd? I understood that frames had not
> been deprecated but rather just removed from the strict DTD: frameset
	[DJW:]
	The frameset DTD just sets a flag and then invokes the
	transitional DTD.  I believe the argument is tht it
	is therefore deprecated like the transitional one.

> Yeah, but these are points of style and subjective.

	[DJW:]  I think you will find that most of the language
	design decisions have been made on subjective/style
	grounds.  My experience is that, if the language permits
	bad habits, the majority of authors will adopt them; actually
	the big 2 allowing bad habits, forbidden by the language, is enough.

> Frames can work well, and there are some circumstances where they are
> necessary as well as desirable; notably combined client and server-side
> applications use frames (often hidden) to store code and preserve state.
	[DJW:] [going off topic]
	In my view, such applications are only safe in controlled
	intranet environments, where one can make ones own
	policy choices.  On the internet, they lock out many users,
	including WebTV, blind using text only, people who actually
	read Microsoft security alerts etc.  For everyone else, the
	application must be able to work without client side state,
	even if it can be optimised where it is available.