Re: Frames

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Dave J Woolley wrote:

> > doesn't include any frame element. Does it mean that frames are
> > not recommended or being phased out? If so, what problems do
> > frames cause?
> It means that they have never been in any reccommended version.

So what's the status of frameset.dtd? I understood that frames had not
been deprecated but rather just removed from the strict DTD: frameset
documents should not contain bodies, nor should documents with bodies
contain framesets - hence they must use a separate DTD.

> Frames result in unbookmarkable pages, framing in other sites
> (often considered a copyright violation), deep links that
> don't work well (sometimes they work worse because of
> Javascript to force the frameset back in++

Yeah, but these are points of style and subjective.

Frames can work well, and there are some circumstances where they are
necessary as well as desirable; notably combined client and server-side
applications use frames (often hidden) to store code and preserve state.
Granted these do shed a little backwards compatibility over pure
server-side solutions, but use much smaller downloads per operation,
with all the associated benefits.

Rup.