Frames and People With Napoleanic Issues >>

Hello All,

My favorite part about his list is when some amateur author of HTML and a
"standards hobbyist" attempts to speak on behalf of the entire world communicating
via markup language. Those folks are the best, because I laugh my tail off every
time you post. Keep up the good work.

As for frames, you can deprecate them, hide them under your bed, put them away in
the closet, or bury them in the end zone with Jimmy Hoffa, and I'll tell you what
-- people are still going to use them. Maybe not everyone, but there is still a
use for them.

Now, I think we can all agree that we've seen a misuse of frames. However, I am
currently involved with one major media company and a start-up, and I have seen a
genuine use for being able to affect one section of a page but not the others, and
the best way to do that now is frames. You can cheer when they change the
standards, and you can pull out your rule book and explain to me in 46 different
ways how rule 12345 specifically states how "you got picked on in high school and
still can't get over it", but we need some sense to reign here.

Perhaps there can be some style attribute that will allow the client to
differentiate between static and dynamic elements of a page. Coming from a
programming perspective, I can see how that is going to be extremely difficult.
Until someone comes up with a better way to import dynamic data into a page with
both static and dynamic elements, we people in the real world are going to
continue to use frames and any browser that moves to support them, and shuts a
user out from his or her favorite site or function is not going to remain popular
for long. (To vendors on this list) To blindly drop your products' ability to
support frames is just going to allow some little guy to come in and scoop up an
unfilled niche (maybe someone like me will write a browser for free and release it
open source if you do), and with all the problems the big guys have supporting
stuff now, I don't see them being able to do that.

If there is a better way and it is just not publicized, then by all means, share
it with us... That is, the people who actually develop  using HTML instead of
praying to an obscure section in a manual (that someone wrote for a trial run of a
first of its kind language).

Also, I would like to ask a few of the people on this list (you know who you are)
to stop condescending to some of the others on the list who are helping to develop
this standard. I understand and follow the discussion on this list, and I have no
trouble keeping pace with your discussions, but a) sometimes you sound ridiculous
when you get into a semantic pissing contest - especially when you do nothing to
propose a resolution to a style/tag/attribute situation, etc. and b) you alienate
some entire areas of the development process, which probably isn't a good thing
when you are developing a language that communicates WORLDWIDE. Just make your
point, and move on please.If you need to use specific language, then use it, but
don't try to sound like you know something we don't because there are those of us
out here that you just aren't fooling. This all really isn't so complicated, so I
hope you'll take this moment and get over it.

One more thing, I'd like to propose a tag... <rant> </rant> so we can enclose all
of our rants that will be filtered out by people who choose to filter them.

Thanks. If anyone else was wondering, there <i_really_mean_it> are  real people on
this list.</i_really_mean_it>
Yes, I said it. Stop taking yourself so seriously and start doing things to help
this world out if you are involved in this process.

-Plain Old Frank-
#####With no pompous signature file.#####