RE: Embed attribute for LINK element

> From: Dave  J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
> To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:27:08 -0000
> Subject: RE: Embed attribute for LINK element
>
> > From: Matthew Brealey [SMTP:thelawnet@yahoo.com]
> >
> > I suggest an embed attribute for LINK. This would covert the LINKed
> > resource into an embedded one when saved for offline use. For example,
> > given:
> >
>         I reckon it could also be used as the basis of a denial
>         of service attack, or to falsely accuse someone of
>         accessing a disreputable site.
It is best if it only applies to rel="stylesheet" or"alternate
stylesheet"; this way no problems occur - it isn't really applicable to
other links.

>         I think this sbould be a local issue between the
>         user and user agent, not one for the author (we have
>         enough problems with authors wanting to override the
>         rights of the user already).
The trouble is that the user shouldn't have to be troubled with such
concerns as linked vs. embedded style sheets.

The spec should state that the user should be allowed an option via a
menu or whatever to override it (if they really wanted to look at drab
pages).

The reason I do not state that uas should just automatically convert
linked to embedded when viewing offline (which is good idea and would
certainly be a start) is to allow maximum flexiblity for both author and
viewer.