Re: file upload extension

From: "Clover Andrew" <aclover@1VALUE.com>
> I would have thought this should always be the behaviour of a file upload
> field; my computer doesn't *have* a microphone, for example, but I *can*
get
> my voice onto a file by messing around with my TV card. I'd *always* want
> the
> ability to choose to upload from file or microphone for audio/* types, and
> I'd *always* want to choose a file or a scanner for image/* types, and so
> on.
> Which makes the proposed 'device' attribute redundant in my opinion.

This is an example of the sort of comment the HTML WG sent to James Salsman
when he submitted the device upload proposal. The HTML WG is currently
working on a design for new forms, which includes a separation of datatypes
from user interface.

As I said earlier, but bears repeating, the HTML WG is not against the idea
behind the device upload proposal, but it must be done right.

Steven Pemberton
Chair, W3C HTML WG