Re: file upload extension

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Clover Andrew wrote:

> Extending the maxlength attribute to file inputs in general seems useful and
> pretty harmless.

In theory, the maxlength attribute has been useable for file input
since RFC 1867, and it was incorporated intoto HTML 3.2, though
the _meaning_ has been completely changed. :-) See
http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/forms/file.html#restr

> I'm not sure how often maxtime would be useful though.

It's questionable whether such constraints are HTML business at all.
If HTML forms are enhanced with some new possibilities for setting
constraints on data, then there are much simpler things that come
into my mind, like restricting input in text input field to be numeric.
But a really useful constraint mechanism requires a language which
has some properties of a programming language, at least a reasonably
powerful expression syntax and semantics; ergo, no HTML business.

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html