Phoney Baloney (was "fighting...")

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Did I miss something here?  Did this document identify itself as
> XHTML 1.1?

Did it need to?

> Or are you just trying to confuse the issue at hand by bringing up
> Microsoft Office content and attempting to get me to explain why
> they made every decision they did?

You might try explaining what Explorer's *support* had to do with the
uh, decision.  (Amazing how easy it is to dance around the issue...)

> As for that content - the "if gte vml" etc. bit is a conditional
> comment syntax

A what?

> that Office came up with as the necessary (for them) solution to
> the problem of different INSTALLED BASE browsers breaking on their
> content.

This kind of brochureware-speak really gets to me.  I think this is
required reading, before any more excuses deflect the issues:

   http://www.mit.edu/people/grainer/frankfurt.html

> Their content is significantly dependent on various levels of
> standards support, technologies like VML, etc.

What on earth is VML?  And what is etc?

> They did not want Netscape Navigator 4.x, for example, to make
> their documents look bad simply because they didn't support VML,
> or had incredibly bad CSS positioning support.

You really don't get it, do you?  Why does any of this barf (as Jason
calls it) have to appear in an HTML document...

 ... that is *not* *kept* *away* from a ***NON***O2K app?

And O2K apps need HTML for intreroperability amongst themselves?
Which planet is everyone on, I wonder?

The moment that crud hits the wire as "Content-type: text/html", all
talk of "Office needed to do this" or "Office wanted to do that" is
all phoney baloney.  Seriously, do you even have the slightest clue
what something like '<![endif]>' does by being invented and then
**foisted** on the public?

Who gave you the g*ddamn right?  And you exepct anyone to believe that
this would still have happened if Explorer did *not* support it?  We
were all born yesterday, right?  Sheesh.

Arjun