Re: "fighting it out between WGs" (was: inline CSS)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:50:17 -0800, Chris Wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com>
wrote:

[...]

>...I suspect the prime concern for Office is backwards compatibility
>with old Office documents - hell hath no fury like an Office user
>whose documents suddenly stopped working in their "new and
>improved" version

Sorry to be the one to bring the bad news,
but they did not do a very good job of that part either.

None of my carefully designed Word95 apps have translated into Word2k
without serious "woodo" required on my part.

None of my carefully designed Word97 apps have translated into Word2k
without serious "woodo" required on my part.

It's about time to revitalize the front page of "Software Tools"
(by Kernigan & Plauger, my copy from 1976)

  "Good programming is not learned from generalities,
   but by seeing how significant programs can be made
   clean, easy to read, easy to maintain and modify,
   human engineered, efficient, and reliable, by the
   application of common sense and good programming
   practices. Careful study and imitation of good
   programs leads to better writing."

But as NIH is a stumbling block, what else can be expected.

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
<URL:http://member.newsguy.com/%7Ejrexon/>