Re: inline CSS (was: is anyone interested in XHTML?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:01:48 -0800, Murray Altheim <altheim@eng.sun.com>
wrote:

>Arjun Ray wrote:

>> > as the Microsoft alternate representative to the HTML wg, I can
>> > tell you that *we* certainly strongly disagree with removal and/or
>> > deprecation of the STYLE attribute.
>>
>> I can see why.
>>   http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=587187495

>Quoting from that document:
>
>    <TD align=left vAlign=top><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:rect id=_x0000_s1025
>    style="HEIGHT: 8.25pt;... [more jibberish snipped]

>Quoting myself: 'what nonsense'.

No argument there Murray.

>Ahhhh, thanks for the clue. Now I understand where all the fuss
>has been coming from. This has been, as I suspected, all an argument
>to use corrupted XML/XHTML as a layout language within Microsoft
>Office 2000. I guessed pretty well, eh?

You are late to the table Murray. Several of us has already seen this as
coming from "a W3 member" and found no ways to "stop" it (since that
bandwagon can't be stopped in the first place. It exists only to make
the rest of the ignorant part of the world at least think that they
understand something)

MS is *bad* for interworking tech, I'm here to be sued (according to
Swedish laws of course, since that's the only legislation that applies
to my persona) if they want to do that based on what I say.

I used to be a fairly clever guy on how to design MS-Word apps for my
clients, my reward for that in later versions is an animated paper clip
that just annoys me to the point where I'm not willing to touch that
piece of shit any more.

It has also been stated in a newspost (sorry no MSGid at this time) that
internal education for the O2k gang on details of "descriptive markup"
is to start in about two years from now.

In that, may be, you can find the roots to explain some of the idiocy
that you can find in O2k apps.

>>From now on I'm gonna ignore anybody who tells me inline style is
>needed by 'the people'.

Please don't drag everything through the same comb will you.
There are quite a number of us that are just as disappointed about
things as you are. Between us I still think that a base for good
interworking technology can be found.

>'mso-ignore' and <![endif]>. Give me a break.

Yes Sir, granted, some of us CSS'ers here want's a break too...

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
<URL:http://member.newsguy.com/%7Ejrexon/>