Re: "fighting it out between WGs" (was: inline CSS)

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Murray Altheim:
>
>  > And beyond all this, it's not up to me. It's up to the entire HTML WG,
>  > and we have already put forward our decision, so 'escalate'. Put up your
>  > dukes, man! Let's fight this out between WGs, fisticuffs-style. Parry,
>  > thrust, jab. I mean, really.
>
> I've seen W3C since the inception from the inside (as staff) as well
> as the outside (being a member representative) and I would hate for it
> to degenerate into the fist-fight spectacle you're aiming for.

I'm not 'aiming for' anything, I'm describing what is happening right
now. Why don't you guys come clean? Tell us why there's an all-out
fist fight over the style attribute? It's not because 'people like it'.
Is Windows 2000 based on styling in HTML documents or something? Wot?

> Fortunately, this is not how it works. The job of W3C is to find and
> build consensus between members and the web community at large. With
> the right people as Working Group chairs and editors, combined with
> feedback from other WGs and fora like this, the organization works
> amazingly well and Recommendations are produced.

All in the eye of the beholder. I'd say it works, but not 'amazingly
well' at all. From a systems theory perspective, the W3C as an organism
is getting pretty constipated.

> Those with access to the W3C member pages can read more on this topic
> in "The Art of Consensus, A Guidebook for W3C Working Group Chairs and
> other Collaborators" [1].
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/Guide/

That has some possibility of working when there is a level playing field.
I don't think that is the case here, nor is there any guarantee of it
with the current process rules.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy