Re: is anyone interested in XHTML?

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> I'm having a very hard time finding _anyone_ in the regular Web development
> world who is excited about XHTML - or even interested.

People respond to books and magazines. There's not been a lot of press on
XHTML 1.0, possibly because it doesn't really *do* anything remarkably
different from HTML 4.0.

> This isn't entirely surprising, as W3C technologies are usually a few miles
> ahead.  However, the zero response I get is remarkable, even by my bleeding
> edge standards.
>
> I'm quite excited about XHTML, writing a book, my usual routine.  Is
> anybody else?

  The value of XHTML 1.0 is that web documents can be processed as XML.

  The value of XHTML 1.1 is the ability to create XHTML subsets,
    extensions and other variants. With some recent additions, it's
    fairly simple to namespace-prefix the DTD as well, something that
    would be very difficult otherwise. This is the platform for
    extending HTML that people have wanted for years.

  The value of XHTML 2.0 will be the change to XLink from HTML's
    linking syntax. Still modular, probably with some more complex
    events and forms.

And while I must admit my bias, I've got a half dozen or so XHTML
variants using the XHTML 1.1 modular framework, versions that include
SVG, MathML, etc., a version with a DocBook/ISO 12083 superstructure.
I'm working with the HTML Writer's Guild on an XHTML-based DTD for
the Gutenberg Project. It's a nice place to play with experimental
structures, especially ones that actually work in existing browsers
(using XSLT transforms when necessary).

I'm also using XHTML as the markup language for a new site I'm working
on, and it's nice being able to process everything using XSLT and the
new XML tools at xml.apache.org. XML is where it's at, and XHTML is the
easy intersection between the current web and XML.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy