Re: Off topic; Re: Dropdown Menu Trouble

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Francis X. Speiser Jr. wrote:
> [Nir Dagan:]

> > 1. This is off topic for this list.
>
> I respectfully disagree.

From  http://www.w3.org/Mail/Lists.html

: www-html (Archive)
:        This is the public mailing list for technical discussion
:        among those interested in enhancing the Hypertext Markup
:        Language (HTML) or building systems that support HTML. It is
:        explicitly intended for the collaborative design of new
:        systems, software, protocols, and documentation which may be
:        useful to the HTML developer community.

Granted, it doesn't say "this is not an on-line help desk" or "this is
not where people answer questions about problems with Netploder" or
"this is not a source of free lessons in elementary RTFM", but I think
it's pretty clear that subjects like how to get dropdown menus or
scrolling tables to work aren't really on-topic.

> As for off topic, why? The guy asked for help witrh HTML and why
> it wasn't working,

I think you should write the W3C, telling them that they have the
description of this list all wrong.

> I think it was a valid question for this list.

While it's normal for discussions to be sparked by questions, if just
questions and answers, rather than discussion, are what subscribers
prefer these days - with, of course, the new staples of comprehensive
quoting and jeopardy style composition - then I guess I'll have to
either killfile more aggressively from now on or simply unsubscribe.
-sigh-.

Arjun