Re: [Moderator Action] Another frames question (sorry)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Nick K. Aghazarian wrote:

> My question is this...  As I was browsing around the w3 site, I
> noticed that framesets are being phased out.  Someone a while back
> mentioned a way to get the same result using (if I remember
> correctly) stylesheets and xlink?

No xlink, just CSS2, and more to the point, fixed positioning [1].

Works pretty well in Mozilla/Gecko last time I checked, also falls
back beautifully for older browsers. Also addresses most of the
problems with frames (my favourite being linking, which even IE5's
state-dependant bookmarks didn't fix).

Thankfully the previous proposal for frames in CSS [2] (June 96? OK
*now* I feel old! I remember ranting about it on this list when it
came out) was dumped, since it didn't address any of these.

[1] <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#fixed-positioning>
[2] <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-layout>

--
Stephanos Piperoglou                              <stephanos@webreference.com>