Re: XHTML

> This just raises another concern for me... when we discuss the future of
the
> web, which language are we talking about? HTML? XML? XHTML? SGML?

I think we should think as the old web as HTML, and the 'new' web as both
HTML and XML

> Right now, when we tell our web browsers to go to a website, we're telling
> it to read HTML. I may be wrong, but I don't think my copies of Internet
> Explorer or Netscape Navigator could view an SGML file.

No ,basically you need an SGML viewer + a DTD to read an SGML file (I know
that is not strictly accurate Russel!)

> What about the future, then? Is the plan / hope / ambition that we will
have
> web browsers that can read XML? Or will we be stuck with browsers that
could
> only read XHTML?

Right now IE5 does an OK job (well OK for a start), and Gecko does a better
job of viewing xml files .

> On yet another note, I have faith in the W3C, because, well, I perceive
> their decisions to be intelligent, and thoroughly thought out. Okay, so I
> don't monitor every little thing it does, and I don't even completely
> understand what they stand right now, but I think they know as well as I
do
> that the functionality of its past recomendations is in jeapordy. I think.
> To lose faith in the W3C is, as I see it, to lose faith in the World Wide
> Web itself.

I'm not sure that evry one would agree with all that statement! <grin/>,
however the W3c are the people who are moving the Web forward, even if they
do occasionally seem to take a few backward steps!