Re: XHTML

Frank Boumphrey wrote:

> James,
> 4.01 represents 'corrections' of errors in the 4.0 spec. It contains
> no new material. There will be no new HTML 5.0.

Hence the choice of version numbering for "4.01".

> Any new material will now be in XHTML the first draft is 1.0 which
> represents HTML 4.0 as an application of XML rather than HTML. Every
> effort has been made to keep it as close to HTML 4.0 as possible.
>
> XML 1.1 is XML 1.0 in a modularized form.

To clarify, XHTML 1.1 is a single DTD representing XHTML 1.0 Strict
minus deprecated features (and adding in <applet>). There has been
talk of adding a second DTD (currently called "Legacy") that includes
all of the features of Transitional and Frameset, but including this
as part of our deliverables is not yet a consensus decision of the WG.
Note that there is no longer any reason to have both a Transitional
and Frameset DTD (the ambiguity of the <body> content model created
by the SGML minimization feature now gone in XML).

> Presumably the next WG will address your concerns!

Frank is correct, except that we hope to release a working draft of
XHTML 2.0 within the lifespan of the current HTML working group, with
a Proposed Recommendation by late Spring 2000. Additions to the core
HTML functionality are done as additional modules to the XHTML 2.0 DTD.

At this time there has been no determination as to any future HTML WG:
the membership of the W3C has yet to decide whether to sponsor a new
HTML WG or extend the current one.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML Grease Monkey         <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
Sun Microsystems, 901 San Antonio Rd., UMPK17-102, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy