Re: HTML comments in <title> elements - valid or not?

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Perhaps we should have added a NOTE about why this restriction is there:
> it's there because older HTML implementations treated <!--...---> as
> character data, and I think some versions of the HTML spec declared
> the TITLE element as CDATA. So there are known interoperability
> problems,
> so authors are prohibited from going there.

Actually come to think about it, if interoperability is an issue, then why
move to PCDATA? This is going to break older implementations anyway.  If
we are going to break older implementaitons, why no go all the way and
allow comments in titles?  Comments (and esp marked sections) could be
very useful.

ex

<TITLE/<![TEMP[DRAFT - ]]>HTML 4.01 spec/

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''