Re: HTML comments in <title> elements - valid or not?

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Perhaps we should have added a NOTE about why this restriction is there:
> it's there because older HTML implementations treated <!--...---> as
> character data, and I think some versions of the HTML spec declared
> the TITLE element as CDATA. So there are known interoperability
> problems,
> so authors are prohibited from going there.

Why did you not also add the restriction that `<' must be escaped by using
an entity.  For if TITLE was CDATA then `<X' would be illegal for suitable
X, but it would be legal under HTML 4.0.  By the same reasoning `<' should
be escaped under most condiditions in HTML 4.0

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''