Re: hide html source code?

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Tony Truong wrote:

> Do any of you know if it is possible to hide the
> html code from the user??

Yes, it is possible.

Do not publish the information.

There is no way of hiding HTML markup (not code) from users. For web
browsers to display the information, it must read the markup. If the
web browser can read the markup, so can the user.

> I'm currently developing a website for my brothers business and he
> is afraid of some of the local competitors stealing some of our web
> content.

The html markup is *not* its content.

People can *always* cut and paste the *content* of a web page. Just
choose EDIT, SELECT ALL and then EDIT, COPY. Or print it.

If the information is copyrighted, then your brother is already
protected. If competitors steal the information it is infringement of
copyright: so sue them.

Does your brother publish a company brochure? Is he worried
competitors might steal information from that?

What is the difference between a website and a brochure?

--
Ian Hickson