an official W3C browser test

Sjoerd Visscher wrote:

 > BUT when the w3c issues an official browser test,
 > programmers will test their beta-browser on it,
 > and tweaking the code until it passes the test.
 > Programmers may incorrectly think that passing
 > the test means a 100% working browser.
 >
 > This means that issuing an official browser test
 > may even ENCOURAGE BUGGY CODE.

True, passing a test suite doesn't guarantee conformance.

But, working daily with browser vendors who use the CSS1 test suite, I
don't quite understand how a test suite -- being reasonbly complete
and well-designed -- would encourage more bugs. My experience point in
exactly the opposite direction.

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium