Re:RE: <BUTTON> tag

Subject:    RE: <BUTTON> tag
Author: Chris Wilson <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>
Date:       02/08/99 10:45

Umm, BUTTON and FIELDSET are both in the HTML 4.0 specification, so I'm not
sure how you're characterizing them as 'Microsoft's "let's do our own thing"
ideas.'  How do you think the W3C should be publicizing element types, other
than putting them in the specification?

- Well BUTTON and FIELDSET were both used significantly in MSHTML.dll and other
DLLs. They create the basic structure of IE4 & 5's dialog boxes (incidentally
IE4/5 use a JavaScript callup, showModalDialog(...)). I was aware of their
listing in W3C, but I perhaps over-reacted when I said that they were
Microsoft's "let's do our own thing".  Actually I happen to think that Microsoft
has exploited (well) the benefits of using HTML dynamically in operating
systems. I am a fan of IE5 (a relief from the bulky content of IE4), and think
that features even as far outspread as filters through CSS and to JavaScript are
incredibly well thought out and considered.  Not only that but IE5 looks and
feels comfortable, but Microsoft have excelled in developing a smooth and fast
product. Perhaps I felt it was Microsoft's "own thing", and if this is wrong I
apologise. I'm not just saying this because I noticed your email, decided to
praise Microsoft and now hope to get free products :), because in general I
dislike certain Microsoft practices and products - but those points are beyond
the scope of this discussion list.  Ultimately, Internet Explorer is now a very
good program, far from it's origins with NCSA. DHTML is superbly controlled, and
there are vastly better features than IE's competitors. BUTTON and FIELDSET are
both used in abundance in IE, hence my original interpretation. I use both tags
a lot in my own websites, and find them great graphical tools and make websites
clearer to read and understand.

Sven L