Re: LINK Element Confusion

-----Original Message-----
From: John T. Whelan <whelan@physics.utah.edu>
To: bckman@ix.netcom.com <bckman@ix.netcom.com>; whelan@physics.utah.edu
<whelan@physics.utah.edu>; www-html@w3.org <www-html@w3.org>
Cc: swick@w3.org <swick@w3.org>
Date: Thursday, August 20, 1998 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: LINK Element Confusion

>I write, about using the PROFILE attribute of HEAD to specify a file
>defining supplemental linktypes:
> It seems like something more sophisticated than comments could
>be a good idea, but I don't know enough about SGML to propose it.
>Something like
>
><!ENTITY % LinkTypes "
>   ALTERNATE     -- alternate version --
>   | STYLESHEET  -- external stylesheet --
>   | START       -- first document in the current collection --
>   | NEXT        -- next document in the current ordered sequence --
>   | PREV        -- previous document in the current ordered sequence --
>           -- etc --
>   | NOTES       -- notes or footnotes --
>   | PARENT      -- logical parent --
>   | CHILD       -- logical child --
>   | HOME        -- logical ultimate anscestor --
>   | AUTHOR      -- author or target for feedback --
>   | MADE        -- converse of AUTHOR --">

> Are the MetaData people doing something like this as well?

The Metadata people, or at least the Dublin Core community, are looking to
use RDF to store resource discovery metadata.  The Dublin Core community
found that HTML 3.2 could not be used to store complex metadata
relationships.

I think the web collections community (who would like to define
relationships for groups of web resource) are also likely to use RDF.

See the Dublin Core Internet Draft at
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kunze-dc-03.txt

Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Homepage: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/b.kelly.html
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838