Re: INPUT enhancements - was Re: SELECT NEST proposal

James Aylett wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Simon Cox wrote:
>
> > > Silders and dials I think would be very useful.
> >
> > I suggest <INPUT TYPE="range" NAME=string>
> > but there are quite a few attributes that are needed, at least:
> > 1.  variable type - float, int, ?alpha
> > 2.  limits - min & max, and
> > 3.  granularity/quanta
> > 4.  selector type - slider|dial - though perhaps this is a client issue
> > 5.  selector scaling - linear (default), logarithmic, ?reciprocal,
> > ?square etc
> > 6.  discontinuous ranges?
>
> I'm sure there are uses for logarithmic etc. scaling, but I can't think of
> them at the moment ...

There are many cases where the valid range may be
eg 1->1000, where 5-4 (for example)
is much greater in meaning than 995-994.
The volume control on your stereo has this property.
This can be handled by converting to a log scale
before choosing (eg dB), but another solution is to
have the non-linear selection hidden behind the knob,
with the numbers on the knob still in units that
the user is comfortable with.

Or do you have one of those amps that goes up to "11" ??

> I've always been slightly confused by the difference between ALT and
> TITLE.

ALT is used for a text string which should be displayed
instead of the image if the latter is not available
(eg, rusty link, graphics turned off, non-graphic client ...) -
it should be a brief indication in text of what would have
appeared - that is a *very* different thing to a caption or title.
Dr Simon Cox - Australian Geodynamics Cooperative Research Centre
CSIRO Exploration & Mining, PO Box 437, Nedlands, WA 6009 Australia
T:  +61 9 389 8421   F:  +61 9 389 1906   simon@ned.dem.csiro.au
http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/unrestricted/people/CoxSimon/