Re: LANG + Metadata + unknown attributes

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:
> Well, yes. So?

The "so" is that I want to write metadata that has a good chance of
surviving processing by tools in use today.  I can't guarantee that some
random tool won't do something nasty to valid HTML, but at least we stand
a slightly better chance of not have my metadata stuffed if I generate
valid HTML to some well known DTD.  And well known effectively means
either HTML 2.0 or 3.2 today.  I'd rather not find that the "standard" for
metadata encoding in HTML breaks the "standard" for the rest of HTML.
That sounds suspiciously like broken engineering to me.

> And I also write a lot of Greek web pages. So, essentially, my rules are
> HTML 3.2 + CSS1 with ISO-8859-7. It's not a standard. But if you cut and
> paste a couple of DTDs (which I *don't* know how to do) then you can get
> this done. So I *DO* hope someone comes up with these "combination" DTDs.
> Then I can design pages as I want them and also be able to validate them.

I think you're after XML and proper SGML on the web.  Join the queue! :-)

Tatty bye,

Jim'll

Jon "Jim'll" Knight, Researcher, Sysop and General Dogsbody, Dept. Computer
Studies, Loughborough University of Technology, Leics., ENGLAND.  LE11 3TU.
* I've found I now dream in Perl.  More worryingly, I enjoy those dreams. *