Re: INPUT enhancements - was Re: SELECT NEST proposal

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Simon Cox wrote:

> James Aylett wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure there are uses for logarithmic etc. scaling, but I can't think of
> > them at the moment ...
>
> There are many cases where the valid range may be
> eg 1->1000, where 5-4 (for example)
> is much greater in meaning than 995-994.

Fair enough. However in that case it's more consistent (especially given
your example of volume control) to hide it at application level (ie the
cgi which interprets it). The only reason I can think of to know that it's
using a logarithmic scale is to be able to draw 'ticks' appropriately on
the scale ... given the size of the slider or dial thise may well not be
sensible anyway.

> Or do you have one of those amps that goes up to "11" ??

No, I have an amp which goes from "min" to "max" :-)

> > I've always been slightly confused by the difference between ALT and
> > TITLE.
>
> ALT is used for a text string which should be displayed
> instead of the image if the latter is not available
> (eg, rusty link, graphics turned off, non-graphic client ...) -
> it should be a brief indication in text of what would have
> appeared - that is a *very* different thing to a caption or title.

I know that - but when I start looking at the DTD I see TITLE being used
where I can't figure out what it does.

Cheers,
James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023