Re: HTML 4.0/SGML, (#PCDATA)* problem in TEXTAREA

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Neil St.Laurent wrote:

> What is HTML's position on handling unknown tags though?  According
> to SGML they should simply cause the document to be invalid, but it
> appears (and I remember reading) that HTML browsers are to simply
> pretend as though the unknown tag wasn't there.

Basically unknown tags are invalid. But the HTML specification
sets user expectations as how such tags should be handled.
User agents should ignore unknown attributes, start and end tags.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2521 (office) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)