Re: _parent addressing (still Re: Extending URL syntax ...?)

At 7:24 PM -0500 07-29-1997, Holger Wahlen wrote:
>	-------------------------
>	| 1 |         2         |
>	-------------------------
>	|                       |
>	|                       |
>	|           3           |
>	|                       |
>	|                       |
>	-------------------------
>
>At the beginning frame 2 contains a wide logo, frame 3 a
>welcome text ...
>
><FRAMESET ROWS="50,*">
>	<FRAMESET COLS="*,500">
>		<FRAME SRC="getindex.html">
>		<FRAME SRC="logo.gif">
>	</FRAMESET>
>	<FRAME SRC="welcome.html" NAME="main">
></FRAMESET>
>
>... and the file getindex.html in frame 1 basically only
>consists of one link
>
><A HREF="menu.html" target="_parent">Display menu ...</A>
>
>that loads a menu bar "into the immediate frameset parent" of
>frame 1, which is - if I understand things correctly - the
>combination of frames 1 and 2. Thus after clicking there the
>screen looks like this:
>
>	-------------------------
>	|        menu bar       |
>	-------------------------
>	|                       |
>	|                       |
>	|          ...          |
>	|                       |
>	|                       |
>	-------------------------
>
>Did I get that right?
No.  You are confusing frameset with frame here.  By pointing to "_parent",
you are indicating that it should load in the enclosing frame, ie, Frame 1.
There is no way that I know of to get the effect you're referring to
without putting a frameset within a frame, ie:

	<FRAMESET ROWS="50,*">
		<FRAME SRC="menu.html">
		<FRAME SRC="welcome.html">
	</FRAMESET>

file menu.html:
	<FRAMESET COLS="*,500">
		<FRAME SRC="getindex.html">
		<FRAME SRC="logo.gif">
	</FRAMESET>

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]