Re: HTML 4.0/SGML, (#PCDATA)* problem in TEXTAREA

At 10:03p -0400 07/29/97, Paul Prescod wrote:

 > HTML is SGML and unknown elements are invalid in both. Certain versions
 > of HTML described a particular, popular error recovery mechanism that
 > involved ignoring the tags, but that mechanism was never to be
 > considered mandatory and documents that depended on it were just as
 > wrong as documents that did not. I can't find anything that would
 > recommend an error recovery mechanism in HTML 4.0, but I haven't read
 > the whole spec. Like you, many people misread the earlier comment to be
 > some form of rule.

Yeah, I had been under that impression too. ::sigh::

What is recommended for "proprietary" sections? DIV/SPAN with CLASS?
Something like:

  <DIV CLASS=Product>
    <SPAN CLASS=Product.Name>Cooler Widget</SPAN>
    <SPAN CLASS=Product.Dept>Thingie Department</SPAN>
  </DIV>

?