Re: Images and formatting of lists, keywords in <a>

At 9:08 AM -0500 07-28-1997, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
>And now, to the format. If you have a long list of say, names (they are
>normally not so long), it tends to take up a lot of space. It would
>often be desireable to brake them up in coloumns. Today, it is
>possible using tables to get the format
>	1.	2.	3.
>	4.	5.	6.
>	7.	8.	9.
>I feel it is a little awkward to do it this way, and I would like to
>have	1.	4.	7.
>	2.	5.	8.
>	3.	6.	9.
>as well.
This is a formatting problem on *your* end.  You're probably doing
something along the lines of:
   <TR>
	<TD>1</TD>
	<TD>2</TD>
	<TD>3</TD>
   </TR>
   <TR>
	<TD>4</TD>
	<TD>5</TD>
	<TD>6</TD>
   </TR>
   <TR>
	<TD>7</TD>
	<TD>8</TD>
	<TD>9</TD>
   </TR>
When you could just as easily use the following:
   <TR>
	<TD>1<BR>2<BR>3</TD>
	<TD>4<BR>5<BR>6</TD>
	<TD>7<BR>8<BR>9</TD>
   </TR>

In addition, there are now new options in HTML 4.0 that allow the division
of a table into columns.

Finally, Netscape 3.0+ offers <MULTICOL>, which allows you to divide a
section of text into columns automatically.

But of course, all of these are visual rather than structural uses of HTML,
which is not encouraged.  Currently, style sheets (with positioning) offer
a very comprehensive way to control the appearance of a page.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]