Re: Profile

The unqualified use of the word "properties" is causing confusion (see below).
There are two, quite distinct, kinds of properties involved here.  Consider:

We can discuss (at least) two different properties of "DC.contributor":

1.  Its *value*, in this case "Misha Wolf".

2.  Its *meaning*, in this case the following definition taken from the
    Internet Draft draft-kunze-dc-00.txt, titled "Dublin Core Metadata for
    Simple Resource Description":

       CONTRIBUTOR

       Person(s) or organization(s) in addition to those specified in the
       CREATOR element who have made significant intellectual contributions
       to the resource but whose contribution is secondary to the individuals
       or entities specifed in the CREATOR element (for example, editors,
       transcribers, illustrators, and convenors).

The profile is supposed to be a resource (format not specified) defining the
meaning of the meta element (and, possibly, also rules for validating and
interpreting element values).

Misha

> > From: Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet <galactus@htmlhelp.com>
>
> > The external profile could provide default values, which are overriden
> > by the META tags in the document. Somewhat along the lines of
> > "Author is X, unless stated otherwise."
>
> There is nothing in the specification suggesting overriding any values. It
says
> the external profile "might define properties". The values for these
properties
> are then set via META. I read it as --  there are no values in the profile.
>
> The properties (like author or keywords) defined in the profile are later
> repeated in META. So I ask myself -- why bother with profile at all. It seems
> to be pointless to repeat the same information twice.
>
> Is there somewhere an example of a profile file one could take a look at?
>
> /e

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.