Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Jordan Reiter wrote:

> It was my understanding that the LINK tag has essentially an
> unlimited possibility of REL and REV values.

This is indeed true. However shared conventions make a lot
of sense.

> Certainly, the rendering of some of them may be limited (or be
> non-existent, in the case of the BIG TWO), but I think limiting
> the possibility of values for the REL or REV attributes would
> drastically reduce the potential of the LINK tag.

Agreed. The profile attribute allows you to specify the name space
your are using for your link types. This allows different groups
of people to define their own conventions without fea of collisions.
It also allows user agents to recognize which conventions are
being used.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2521 (office) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)