Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

At 08:28 PM 7/8/97 PST, Mike Meyer wrote:
>My quick search did not turn up a non-hypertext copy of the DTD &
>related things. Does such exist for those who want to work with it
>locally?

Try
     http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Cougar/dtd.html

which has links to the DTD itself (updated 1997/07/08)
     http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Cougar/Cougar.dtd

and the SGML Open catalog, SGML Declaration, and the
three entity definition lists.

These files are also included in the zip file and gzip'ed tar
file that are linked to on
     http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/

Look in the sgml subdirectory after you unpack the archive.

By the way, for those of you who haven't seen the HTML 4.0 draft,
it's a massive piece of work: 65 files in 10 directories -- 35
of which are HTML files that (when printed out on my system)
totalled over 250 pages.  Fortunately, the work is very well
cross-referenced, and there is a "Changes between HTML 3.2 and
HTML 4.0" document
     http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/appendix/changes.html
which might be a good place to start.

For those of you who want to make a hardcopy of the HTML 4.0 draft,
I didn't try the postscript file that is linked to from
     http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/
but if it's really only about 200 pages as described, it's
definitely worth the effort to print that one instead of
trying to print out the 35 separate files.
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>         http://www.emf.net/~estephen/