Re: style sheets, dropped capitals and floatimg text

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 www-html@atomism.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I'm trying to get this to work:
>  _______
> [__  __] HIS SEEMS to be very difficult
>    []    to achieve using style sheets.
>    []    I've tried floating text but
>    []    nothing seems to happen in both
>    []    MSIE 4 and Netscape 4.01. Does
> anyone know how to create a dropped
> capital at the start of a paragraph with
> the rest of the paragraph wrapping
> around it?

This is fairly simple to do with style sheets.  Use the pseudo-element,
first-letter, e.g.:

P:first-letter {font-size: 500%}

Of course, I would suggest a smaller value than 500%, but that is what
your ASCII example uses.

--
Gregory Martin Pfeil                Programmer-Composer-Guitarist
mailto:pfeilgm@jmu.edu            http://falcon.jmu.edu/~pfeilgm/