Re: JUSTIFY

At 04:33 PM 12/08/97 -0400, jptxs wrote:
>Hakon Lie wrote:
>>CSS has this:
>>
>>  BODY { text-align: justify }
>
>thanks, i had missed that all together
>looking too hard i guess......
>
>can this be applied as:
>
>BLOCKQUOTE { text-align: justify }
>
>or
>
>P { text-align: justify }
>
>??

Yes.

>Peter Flynn wrote:
>>No, it's not there, because HTML 3.2 and 4 document and codify
>>existing practice, not future use.

HTML 4.0 seems to do more than codify existing practice, as evidenced by
the advanced forms and tables.

>>What you're looking for is <p align="justify">, right? And <div
>>align="justify">? Do browsers support these?

MSIE 4.0b2 and Netscape 4.0+ do (and both also support CSS's text-align:
justify).

>that is exactly what I would love to see
>i can't be sure if it's proper or not

Yes, you can.  Check the published standards and drafts.

>i realize CSS is supposed to take care of all
>the style elements of a document so it should
>cover alignments, but, on the other hand,
>justification is simply the proper way to align
>a blockquote--so it's not really a style issue
>in that case (the one i'm most concerned with)

There is no "proper way" to present anything in HTML (except possibly
PREformatted text, though one could argue against that).  Just because you
view a certain presentation as "proper" does not make HTML the better
language for communicating that presentation.  It's very cumbersome to
type <BLOCKQUOTE ALIGN=justify> all the time when you could just use
<BLOCKQUOTE> along with a CSS rule specified once in a single file.  And
then when you discover that justification can look bad on screen,
switching the alignment is a breeze.

Liam Quinn
===============  http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/  ===============
======  PGP Key at http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/pgp.html  =====