Re: ISO and HTML

nemo/Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> No blink?  I thought I saw it in my copy of the CSS1 spec:

Oops. I missed that.

> As for MULTICOLS, I think some people consider it a poor hack,
> which is why it is unsupported in CSS1.

Long, long ago some folks on this list tried to convince NS to make
multiple columns an attribute of block-level elements instead of a new
tag. It would then have been trivial for NS to support columns in
stylesheets.

> (Then again, how blink got into CSS1 is beyond me.  OTOH, you
> don't have to blink the text to comply with the core spec.)

The core spec is too narrow. OTOH, why would anyone wanting control
over presentation leave the _properties_ of blinking (speed, pattern,
persistence, etc.) entirely up to the UA (another old discussion)? Far
above the fuzzy dividing line between structure and presentation is a
clear break between static and animated presentation, and blink is
clearly in the latter category. Since CSS is not a programming
language, animation belongs in scripting, not in the CSS spec.

BTW, the comment you commented on was intended to be facetious.

David Perrell