Re: Moving on...

At 10:26 PM 5/8/96 +0800, James Tauber wrote:
>Agreed. I would go for a general SGML solution based on one or both of:
>
>	DSSSL-O
>		DSSSL is very well done and DSSSL-O is a tractable
>		subset to implement.

That's pretty ambitious. Wouldn't you rather start with CSS?

>	Java as an SGML Processor
>		Use processing instructions to map generic identifiers
>		to Java classes that extend an abstract Element class
>		that has parsing and rendering methods.

Processing instructions? Why not a completely separate .javamap file?

>I am still trying to find the time to modify a Scheme interpreter to
>handle the DSSSL Core Expression Language. Help wanted.

You should look at the [MetaMedia project] stuff at the University of
Waterloo. It proposes something very close to that which you are discussing
(Java/Scheme processing of SGML data for rendering on the client).

"The major technologies used in this project are Java, SGML, and Scheme.

     Java. The Java language provides an object oriented programming
paradigm similar
     to C++, but with enhanced safety and security. It compiles to an
architecture-neutral
     virtual machine language which can potentially be targeted by other
compiled
     languages. The virtual machine language can be efficiently interpreted
or translated to
     native code.

     SGML. SGML provides a way to encode and constrain hierarchical structure in
     textual documents. It is the prototypical hierarchical content
encoding, and will be
     translated into a ``media tree stream'' by the system.

     Scheme. A compact dialect of LISP, Scheme provides an efficient
interpretation
     engine which can efficiently support many other interpretation
paradigms. It also is
     useful for manipulating hierarchical structures, i.e. ``media tree
streams''. "

There is a [metamedia mailing list], and it seems like a good place to take
this discussion.

 Paul Prescod

[MetaMedia project] http://www.meta.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/