Re: ***MATH***

In message <31EC55BA.446B@aw.sgi.com>, Ka-Ping Yee writes:

>The first implementation of MINSE beat that release date by a month.

Folks don't seem to be suitably impressed with Ping's work.  Here's a
guy who, rather than bemoaning the lack of HTML math, rolled up his
sleeves and built something. Not only that: he did the 3x more work
that it takes to make it usable by others.

I can tell you that, as a result, this is having real influence on the
design of HTML math.

Is anybody using it? I would expect to see questions about it,
and I don't see them.

I've looked at MINSE, and so has Dave Raggett. I think the design is
really clean and elegant. Ping: what did Dave say about it? I forget.

I would hope that folks could look beyond the fact that you
currently have to use inline GIFs to use this system, and
see the value of the design.

>> I ***DON'T*** want plug-ins, inline gifs or what-have-you. latex2html does
>> that job more than well enough (sorry Ping, but your stuff is useless to me
>> because of this, as far as I could see).
>
>I don't expect my system to be implemented in the long run with plug-ins or
>mediators.  But since major browser makers have done nothing towards this end,
>they are the only way to make the service accessible to all browsers right now
>.

Has anybody looked at putting MINSE suport in something like
grail? It's a reasonably hackable browser.

	http://www.python.org/

Dan