Re: Resizing images relative to window size

On  4 Jul 96 at 17:20, you wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>
> > At 1:39a +0100 07/03/96, James Aylett wrote about scaling images.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this doesn't work well for bitmap images (Chris
> > Lilley has a page which goes into detail about image scaling). We
> > really need SVF or something like it (hopefully supporting
> > antialiasing), since vector graphics scale better than bitmap
> > graphics (understatement!). Anyone know what's going on with that?
> >

> How about having the browser have the option to fire up an external
> program for scaling/reducing colours or whatever you want which you
> can configure to your favourite utility? Then it would essentially
> work in the way Lynx does - passes the image to xv or whatever, and
> so gives much better output. In fact, if you could say on which
> occasions you wanted the external program to be used if you were on
> a fast system you could always use the external program and so you'd
> get far better image quality. This method, without quite the
> configurability I've mentioned, is already available on more than
> one browser ... but not, it seems, on the big players.

Well, of course, this is what happened before "in-line" display came
in with Mosaic.  I always quite liked having an external viewer
start-up to view images, but I suspect it wouldn't satisfy most
people (especially people who are obsessed with appearance rather
than content).  The idea of being able to configure a browser to
either display images in-line or pass them to a helper app is
interesting, but I don't think it would work in practice - too many
web pages now are tightly-bound mixtures of text+graphics (e.g.,
newspaper/magazine sites).

--
Jon Wallis            Senior Lecturer in Computing / University Webmaster
School of Computing & I.T.,  University of Wolverhampton,  U.K. - WV1 1SB