Re: International chars in HTML files

At 1:22p 01/19/96, Frédéric Naud wrote:
>At 08:25 96-01-16 +0000, you wrote:
>>On Mon, 15 Jan 1996 15:39:13 -0500 (EST), murray@sq.com wrote:
>>

>>Frederic, could you point us to a demo page where you have used -both-
>>notation styles?  I think we're looking at a quirk of trying to be both
>>international and platform independent.
>>
>        Please take a look at the source of this page:
>                        http://www.hec.ca/pl_cours/4_650_85/planh96.htm
>
>This is an exact copy of the code it contains (copyright, HEC 1996)
>As you can see, there's both the &egrave and the è in the page...
>If I understood right, the ability to type an é replaces the need to type
>é.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[snip]

Ah, you are asking whether it is "OK" to use high-bit characters directly.
The answer to that is: No, it is not. The assumption here was that
*software* was being used so that you could type an "é" and have it
automatically be converted into "eacute;" for insertion into the HTML code.

-Walter