Re: Automatic Entry and Forms

Hi Derek

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996, Derek Harding wrote:

> At 12:33 PM 25-02-96 +1100, Robert Hazeltine wrote:
> >
> >Maybe people two generations hence might find the ideas of transferring
> >data - both personal and business - without human intervention acceptable
> >as a principle.  I do not.
> >
> > be linked with this sort of proposal that allows another systems to
> > probe for information on a particular workstation.
>
> Unless I have misread the proposal, this is not a part of it and is not
> being suggested at all! Furthermore nothing in this proposal allows any kind
> of "probing" as you seem to believe. (Hence my comment that perhaps you have
> misread the proposal).
>
> As I understand it the proposal is suggesting is that a protocol may be
> developed which allows common fields which many users fill in everyday to be
> pre-filled automatically should users wish them to be. Users will then be
> free to submit the form in the normal way or delete any fields they don't
> wish to send, or modify the information prior to submission, or finally, not
> any have fields automatically filled in.
>
> The proposal does not make *any* provision for automatic submission or
> transfer of information in any way shape or form or for any "probing" of
> machines either.

Thanks, Derek.

I will get back to you later with a considered rely.  It's a late, cloudy
Sunday afternoon in Sydney and some people seem very offended that I
chanllenge some cherished ideas.  I have spent most of the afternoon
defending myself against an Internat guru.  YuK!

In the meanwhile, please consider that there is a Nepolean behind every URL
and you may appreciate just some of my concerns!

Rob...

Robert Hazeltine                    r.hazeltine@nepean.uws.edu.au
Library Web Support                 http://www.nepean.uws.edu.au/library/