Re: What are the problems with IDML?

In article <321437E9.7AC1@emerge.com>,
Doug Donohoe <donohoe@emerge.com> wrote:
> Is http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/L2Pindex.html#META
> the normative document?  It says "META ... Allowed in Content of ...
> <HEAD>".  If so, it says exactly what the other
> document says, with less detail.  If not, could you send me
> the URL for the document I should look at?  I'd appreciate it :-).

It does say that, but it also says that the HEAD *tags* are optional.
This is defined in the HTML 2.0 DTD. This means that you can leave
the <HEAD> and </HEAD> tags off and still have tags that belong in
HEAD in your document. Just make sure they don't occur anywhere in
the document BODY - ie, after the <BODY> tag or after any body
elements.

<TITLE>foobar</TITLE>
<META NAME="foo" CONTENT="bar">
<P>Hello!</P>

is a perfectly valid document, and the META occurs in the head part
of it.

> Boy, if I can't get this straight (and I do this for a living), how
> is the average web-author, the person it is supposed to help,
> going to understand?

They either look at http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur/head/head.html
or use explicit HEAD tags. :-)

Galactus

--
To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.