Re: User-definable scheme types

At 08:10 PM 8/16/96 -0400, Stephen R. Laniel wrote:
>Pardon me if I have submitted this to the wrong list, but I didn't know
>where it should go.  I would like to see user-definble scheme names.
>This would allow me, for instance, to type:
>
>finger://laniel+@andrew.cmu.edu

There is nothing wrong with the idea, but it does not require
standardization. Just ask your browser vendor to support it. Netscape
already allows you to install new protocols through plug-ins. This is just a
small extension of that idea. Windows has a built-in mapping from URL's to
executables, but I don't know how to extend it beyond the basic URL types.

 Paul Prescod